Skip to content
kors-logo
Home » Vet Issues Urgent Warning Over Toxic Household Items For Pets This Easter, Including The Popular Spring Flower You Should Keep Away From Dogs

Vet Issues Urgent Warning Over Toxic Household Items For Pets This Easter, Including The Popular Spring Flower You Should Keep Away From Dogs

With Easter just around the corner, vets are urging owners to beware of some seemingly innocent household items that can be deadly for dogs.

David Hollinshead at VetsNow in Middlesbrough warns that owners should keep an extra eye out during celebrations like Easter, when accidents are most likely to happen.

‘We see a big rise in pet emergency cases during public holidays and significant events and often it’s due to pets eating things they shouldn’t such as flowers or chocolates’ he said.

Some flowers can be extremely dangerous Some spring flowers, such as Daffodils, are highly poisonous to dogs according to the Blue Cross (stock image) 

One of those flowers to look out for is the popular spring flower, daffodils, which are highly poisonous to dogs according to the Blue Cross.

According to the charity, the bulbs are the most dangerous part since this is where the toxins are concentrated but owners are warned against consumption of any part of the flower, including drinking the water from a vase that contains daffodils.

Symptoms of daffodil poisoning include sickness and an upset tummy. If your dog is sleepy and wobbly, these are also telltale signs of daffodil poisoning to watch out for.

The charity advises sectioning off flower patches in the garden as well as keeping an eye out for daffodils growing in walking spots.

Similarly, a number of other spring flowers including tulips, buttercups and bluebells can be fatal. Consuming any part of the plant, especially the bulb, can make dogs ill and symptoms of an upset stomach are often signs of poisoning by flowers.

Tulips can also cause drooling, sickness and diarrhoea, issues with breathing and heart palpitations.

Bluebells are the one of the most dangerous of spring bloomers, and if consumed in large quantities, can have fatal consequences. The Blue Cross charity warns owners to be cautious when walking through woodland areas where clusters of bluebells are often found.

Toxic foods to avoid  Though preparing the Easter meal can be stressful, it’s vital that owners are also wary of what’s within reach when cooking, advises the pet food company, Purina. An expensive vet bill will undoubtedly be much more stressful than burned potatoes.

Pet owners should avoid feeding dogs anything that contains sultanas or raisins, according to Purina, which definitely means no hot cruss buns.

Garlic, onions, leeks can also be highly dangerous for dogs to consume, with the average vet bill for threatening onion poisoning being £339, according to data taken from pet insurance claims.

Onions and garlic can be toxic to dogs, according to Purina, a pet food company (stock image) 

ManyPets vet Dr Kirsten Ronngren says this is because onions contain disulphides which can destroy a dog’s red blood cells, leading to a condition called haemolytic anaemia.

‘Treatment for onion toxicity depends on the size of the pet and how much they have consumed,’ she said.

‘In more severe cases, it can be the case that the toxic dose has been reached, whereby a pet may have to be treated for anaemia’.

Hot cross buns also have the power to result in a hefty vet bill for dog owners. This is because both raisins and sultanas are poisonous to dogs. It’s thought that the tartaric acid within grapes is what causes intoxication. Signs of an upset tummy, drooling and lack of appetite are all symptoms of poisoning.

Nutmeg, which is another common ingredient in hot cross buns, can also be potentially dangerous due to hallucinogenic toxin myristicin.

Though it’s marketed as a healthy alternative, manufacturers tend to sneak Xylitol, an artificial sweetener, into our foods, causing a spike in insulin which could even be lethal for dogs.

While symptoms are often relieved within an hour, if lots of Xylitol has been consumed, the risk of liver failure increases.

Make sure you bin all the chocolate wrappersWhile most of us know not feed dogs chocolate, the packaging on Easter eggs can also be harmful to dogs. 

Foil wrap can not only be a choking hazard but could result in a dangerous intestinal obstruction, causing abdominal pain and vomiting.

If you’re trying to opt for healthier choices for yourself this year, beware that the sweeter, Xylitol, can be dangerous for dogs.

If you have to give them a treat, stick to vegAs well as being mindful of what’s within reach of greedy pups, owners should also be cautious with what they feed in leftovers.

Research from the Welsh company Burns Pet Nutrition found that a third of owners overfeed their dogs, with 45 per cent even sharing cheese with their dogs.

But founder of Burns Pet Nutrition veterinarian, John Burns MBE urges owners to think twice about overfeeding. 

‘Dogs don’t necessarily need tasty treats, it is just us owners that love to give them!’

Don’t let those big puppy dog eyes pressure you,’ he said.

Burns recommends avoiding giving scraps to dogs and suggests sticking to steamed vegetables if you absolutely must.